Brakeley has been active in the Nordic region since 1993 and been advising many of the pioneer fundraising initiatives.
Some highlights from our more than 20 years of operations in the Nordics:
- We started advising Chalmers University of Technology in 1993, and helped them run the first modern capital campaign among universities in the Nordic region. This campaign raised around SEK 350 M.
- Swedish Sea Rescue Society (Sjöräddningssällskapet), 1995. We helped them to start working in a structured way to secure major gifts for construction of new rescue vessels. Since then this has been an important source of funding for them.
- Umeå University ran the first capital campaign among a multi faculty university in Sweden in 1998-1999. Brakeley helped with planning and running the campaign.
- We carried out a planning study in 2004 for Karolinska Institutet as preparation for their first capital campaign. We subsequently helped KI to launch the capital campaign called Breakthroughs for Life. The campaign raised SEK 1 billion – from both Swedish and international donors – and concluded during the 200th Anniversary Year of 2010.
- UNICEF Sweden was one of our earliest clients in the NGO/Charity sector. We helped them to establish a major donor program in 2003-2004.
- We carried out a planning study for Ersta Diakoni to help them set up fundraising operations.
- We advised Helsinki University of Technology to plan a fundraising initiative. This led to a fundraising campaign – probably the first modern capital campaign in Finland – with a target of EUR 20 M, which they reached in time for their 100 year anniversary in 2008.
- Hanken School of Economics carried out their first fundraising campaign in time for their 100 year anniversary – with Brakeley as strategic consultants. The campaign exceeded its target and raised around EUR 16 M which was matched by the government with another EUR 39 M.
- Brakeley helped Linköping University to first plan a regional fundraising campaign, followed by a national campaign for the whole university. Linköping University’s capital campaign, called Expanding Excellence, raised around SEK 270 M involving all faculties and concluded in 2011.
- WWF selected Brakeley to develop a major gifts programme throughout the WWF network. Brakeley Nordic has since worked with WWF Denmark and WWF Sweden.
- We carried out a study for Royal College of Music (KMH) in Stockholm and helped them to prepare for their fundraising campaign around a new campus.
- In 2012, we organised our first study trip where we invited our clients to join us for a day in Cambridge. Since then, we have organised study trips to Oxford/London, Stockholm, and Basel.
- Brakeley assisted Lund University in 2013 to plan their first capital campaign that is set to finish in time for their 350 year anniversary.
- We started the first open training on major gift fundraising in the Nordic region. The first program round took part in 2015 with 15 participants from different sectors. Since then we have organised it two times per year.
- We helped Aalto University with campaign management and setting up a new fundraising organisation in 2015. This second fundraising campaign concluded in 2017 and exceeded its target of EUR 20 M.
- There is an increased interest in fundraising in various sectors and carry out planning studies for such diverse organisation as for instance Arcada (2011), Randers Regnskov (2013), University of Oulu (2012), Grafikens Hus (2015) ActionAid (2014), the Swedish History Museum (2015), Stockholms Stadsmission (2015), IVA (2015), Malmö University (2016), Sankt Erik Eye Hospital (2016), Blomsterfonden (2016), IM Swedish Development Partner (2016), UNICEF Norway (2016), and Aarhus University Hospital (2017).